To start your adventure with American Village, follow the five step process.
The application process outlined below is only for foreign applicants (Americans, Canadians, Australians, British, etc).
French applicants should visit the French version.
Information COVID-19 : The coronavirus pandemic’s impact on worldwide travel requires us to take location into consideration when evaluating applications. We must ensure that hired staff can get to camp for the required start date. We are unsure how this will impact 2021 recrutement, which opens in December. We may only be able to consider applicants located in the Schengen Zone. We will update this information once we have it.
Step 1: Complete the American Village Camps Application online.
You'll create an account, build your application, and then apply to the position(s) that you are qualified for. Your application is not sent to the recruitment office until you have completed every portion of the application and clicked submit.
- There is not an application deadline, because we review applications regularly until positions have been filled. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as they have firm availability.
- Applications are reveiwed in the order of their reception, and in order of upcoming camps.
- A professional reference letter (professional recommendation from a former supervisor). Please do not upload your college diplomas or transcripts in place of this document.
- A clear photo for your face ("ID photo") is required of all Language Counselor applicants.
- A Letter of Motivation (motivation statement, in the form of a letter) and your professional resumé are optional, and highly recommended.
Step 2: Application Reviews, Potential Telephone Interview Request
We review applications in the order of upcoming camps, and then, in the order that they have been received. We appreciate your patience. We will communicate with you from the address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3: The Phone / Skype Interview
If you are asked for a phone or Skype interview, remember that it is scheduled in Paris Time. The interview is roughly 30 minutes and is largely based on your application.
At the end of the interview, the interviewer will give a time frame regarding a response to the application. In all cases, we provide a reply and don't simply leave the applicant wondering eternally about the job.
- If you haven't received an email from us within 10 days of an interview, please check your spam box because it must have been sent to spam.
After the interview, if you have any questions that aren't answered on this website, don't hesitate to send your questions to us by email.
Step 4: Offer of Employment & Employment Paperwork
We make job offers via email. They have an expiration date.
We'll send the work contract to you in the mail. Counselors are to sign and return the work contract via post within two weeks of reception to confirm their commitment to coming to camp.
Hired staff must upload legible color scans of the following documents:
Any documents in a language other than English or French, must be accompagnied by a French translation.
- your valid passport : data page and signature page
- birth certificate
- high school diploma (OR college diploma OR transcripts)
- If you have one, your teaching diploma (TEFL, TESL, TESOL, CELTA...).
- vaccination records that are up-to-date and include a Td booster within the past 10 years
- recent criminal records check from your local police or sheriffs office (within one year) **
- Return of signed contract and completed administrative sheets.
See more information about how to acquire which documents on our FAQ page* Required of all candidates without a FRENCH social security number.
** The amount of time necessary to require your apostilled birth certificate and criminal background check can vary according to your state of residence. If acquisition of this document will delay your confirmation, send us proof that you have ordered it, while submitting all other documents. Then, upload it as soon as it is received.
Step 5: Confirmation of Employment
Once the work contract is received back in our offices, and all required scans uploaded onto your online account, you're ready to start planning your trip! We will send an email to confirm the reception of your documents. The counselor is to read his/her staff handbook, await site assignments (given out approximately 2-3 weeks before employment), and start preparing his/her travel plans!