Troubleshooting the Application
Frequently Asked Questions about Application
I believe I submitted my application, but never received a confirmation email.
If you don’t receive an automatic email from us confirming that your application has been sent, first check your spam folder for an email from email@example.com .
If there is no email in spam, your application has not been sent to the recruitment office. It is still in editing mode. This is because you have not completed every section of the application and clicked SUBMIT on the first tab.
- Click SAVE every time you modify or add information, before changing tabs.
What are the critera for the Professional Reference Letter/Form?
A professional reference is required for every 1st year Language counselor applicant.
1. The reference must be presented as :
- a letter on company letterhead, or,
- a completed American Village Professional Reference Form.
2. This professional reference form must be completed by a person who can present an unbiased assessment of your work with children. This person must include his or her name, title and telephone number, so that we can reach him or her for confirmation.
3. This reference must refer to employment in the last 2 years.
4. We are unable to accept a simple reference contact list.
If I want to speak French during employment, do I complete the Daily Life Counselor application?
No. Those positions are only open to persons that possess the French Brevet d’Aptitude aux Fonctions de l’Animateur (B.A.F.A) certificat. There is no legally recognized equivalent in the US, nor the UK.
If you are a native English speaker who has never worked at our camps before, the only position available to you is the Language Counselor position.
Read more about the B.A.F.A on our blog.
How do I indicate that my availablity is discontinuous?
(ex: all of March and April, then again in September and October)
You will create two separate applications. This way, we could potentially send you an offer for each period.
- Non-EU tourist reminder : please know that unless you have a visa for France that extends your right to stay, you are only legally allowed to stay in France for 90 of 180 days.
How do I remove my active application ?
If you're no longer available or interested, please delete your active application via the online profile. We'll stop contacting you. Your account will remain accessible to you, so that you can potentially apply again at another point in time.
What does letter of motivation mean?
It means a cover letter that tells us why this specific job interests you. This REALLYs set you apart as a candidate, as it allows us to better know you and imagine how you could fit into our team. Here are a few tips :
- Don’t just tell us why this job is good for you, tell us why you are good for this job! What will you will bring to the team?
- Check your spelling and grammar. Take the time to fully express each thought
- Avoid using a general cover letter or a teaching cover letter. This job is much more!
- Present specific examples of relevant experiences (professional, volunteer, or educational) that highlight your potential as an awesome American Village English Language Counselor.
Some ideas are
- Were you a scout, or a camper as a child?
- What talents can you teach at camp (American sports? Singing? Theatre? Crafts? Etc!
- Explain why you want to work on a multicultural team
- Outline your commitment to education and/or to high-quality childcare
- Address any long term unemployment or gaps in your résumé
Can I apply without a passport number?
No. No applicant will be considered without proof that s/he can legally enter France as a tourist.
How do I upload the required documents if the tab is blank?
If the entire Required Documents page is blank, it is because you haven't selected which position you are appying for. You must go back to the first tab, titled Position, and select which position you are applying for (probably Language Counselor if you're reading this!).
My availability to work has changed, how can I be considered for the camps during my new availability?
You need to update your availability ASAP on your online profile. A major part of recruitment revolves around available dates, so always have them up-to-date.
My phone number has changed, how do I inform American Village?
In the case of an interview, we will call or skype you. This means your contact information on your American Village online profile needs to be up-to-date.