Questions you may have about COVID-19's impact
on our 2021 camp programming
- Are your camps or offices open right now?
- Can I apply if I am not a native speaker?
- Are you still hiring abroad for camps in 2021?
- If I am hired from abroad, and quarentine is required upon entry into France, can I quarentine at camp?
- If I am hired, do I have to wear a mask at camp?
- Will the covid-19 health protocol impact the day-to-day camp life?
Are your camps or offices open right now?
The camp administrators, Cécile, Amanda, and Mélanie, are working remotely, as per the French recommendations at this time. We are looking forward to another excellent AmVil season, despite the unique challenges related to Covid!
When can I apply for 2021 camps?
- The online application is available and recruitment is open.
- However, there are broad restrictions on non-essential travel from many countries outside the European Union.
- Coming To France > List of autorised countries from the French Government
- If you are sure to want to come work as a Language Counselor at AmVil in 2021, but are not located in the EU, we advise you to complete an application. We will put it on waitlist while there is no travel allowed into the EU or France from your country, and expect to hear from you if either (1) travel becomes available for nationals of your country (send a link to an official source) or (2) you become unavailable and decide to withdraw your 2021 application.
Can I apply if I am not a "native speaker"?
Yes. Because of the circumstances limiting travel, native speakers in France with proper work autorisation remain priority applicants. But, the Coronavirus pandemic’s impact on worldwide travel requires us to make certain adjustments to Language Counselor recruitment for our upcoming season. Location, work autorisation and job related skills are also important factors. We'll also consider fluent C1 Level English-speakers with corresponding certificate (or an equivalent document).
Are you still hiring abroad for camps in 2021?
Updated March 17, 2021:
Due to travel restrictions, we are currently only hiring persons located in Europe with proper work autorisation for France. Or persons of European nationality with concrete plans to be in France at least 7 days before employment.
This will not change until direct tourism travel to France is reinstated and has begun. Based on what we have seen this past year, we know that decision will be made on a country-to-country basis. It impacts persons within as well as outside of the EU.
Any Covid-19 transportation related expenses, for example, a negative PCR test or quarentine, remain at the expense of the employee. Please take this into consideration before applying for 2021.
March 2021 : A negative PCR test result within 72 hours is currently required for entry into France from other EU countries.
United States Nationals / Canadian Nationals / British Nationals
- Currently, tourist travel to the France is not allowed from these countries. Right now, we cannot hire Americans, Brits nor Canadians who are not already in France (with appropriate work authorisation). To stay up-to-date, refer to the state department for your country or see the above-mentioned French Diplomacy website.
- Go Further USA Coronavirus travel restrictions
- Go Further Canada Coronavirus travel restrictions
- Go further UK Coronavirus Travel restrictions
British Nationals in France before Brexit :
- British Nationals who were living in France before December 31, 2020 can still be employed in France for a time, without a visa. Please show this residency at the time of application, as British Nationals who entered France after January 01, 2021 do not have the same allowances in terms of working.
- Go Further UK Nationals living in France rules pre and post Brexit
- We are unable to hire outside of EU Member States + Schengen Associated countries until international tourist travel has been reinstated.
If I am hired from abroad, and quarentine is required upon entry into France, can I quarentine at camp?
While we don't know what conditions of entry into France will be later this year, we have noticed that upon entry into France, a traveler could be encouraged/required to submit to a PCR test or, failing that, to comply with a 7-day quarantine period. Should this practice be maintained, please be aware that we cannot provide quarentine housing for any staff. Any Covid-19 transportation related expenses, for example, a negative PCR test or quarentine, remain at the expense of the employee. Please take this into consideration before applying for 2021.
If I am hired, do I have to wear a mask at camp?
Yes. Please take this into consideration before applying.
By applying and accepting employment with American Village Camps, you commit to respecting the health protocol. Hygiene rules mirror those already in place in France, where masks are required of all persons over the age of 6 years old, regardless of your personal beliefs or opinions about the sanitary situation. Masks are required to be worn in the place of work, including in all schools and childcare facilities.
Four disposable masks will be provided for each staffer every day, for the entire duration of his/her time at American Village camp. Changing the mask punctually throughout the day is part of the Health Protocol. Resuable masks are not allowed at camp, nor are face shields.
Will the Covid-19 health protocol impact the day-to-day camp life?
Yes. While the fundamental responsibilities of a counselor have not changed, our program requires modification to operate smoothly with the new protocol.
Counselors are still responsible for leading activities in English, teaching classes, supervising campers, being great role models for example. But they will also be responsible for ensuring that health protocol is met.
During our Autumn camps, we put into place new operating procedures that make the new requirements fit into a day that balances out the workload for everyone, and maintains creative flexibility for the counselors to add their own games and ideas while working with their groups.
- Covid-19 program changes include steps like : reducing activity group sizes, maintaining one’s mask (except meals and sports), physical distance, and spacing out desks.
Counselors can prepare for employment by brushing up on activities for smaller groups, for example. Campers will be divided in groups of 12-15 children and the groups are organized by age.
To start your brainstorming, the Team American Village YouTube Channel features playlists of ideas of smaller group games that are great for adapting for English use.
you for your support of American Village Camps.
We encourage all persons to protect themselves and others from the virus's spread.
Stay up-to-date on our news by following Twitter @AmvilRecruit and the American Village Recruitment - work in France Facebook Page.